Monday, March 10, 2008

I Just Started Playing Online for Money

I have been playing online Poker at Fulltilt and Pokerstars for about a 1 ½ years now. I have only been playing for “play money” except for the $5.00 I won in a freeroll on Fulltilt of which I have $.25 left. I have accumulated approximately 400,000 in play money on Fulltilt and about 50,000 on Pokerstars.

I was talking poker with my friend Paul from Florida who is a winning online player and has been playing online for about 3-4 years. He asked what my screen name on Pokerstars was so I told him it’s “Docvelvet” he said he was going to transfer $6.00 to my account and that I should play the Micro No limit Hold’em $1 + .20 tournaments. I have always wanted to play for real money but it seemed difficult to fund and I didn’t have the confidence in my game that I have gained over the last 3 months.

It’s been a week and I have turned his $6.00 into a whopping $8.00. I won an 18 person $1 + .20 NLH tournament for $7.20 as well as coming in 6th in a 45 person $1 + .20 NLH tournament for $3.00. I have come in 12th a couple times in the 45 person tournament. In one game a player beat my trips twice with straights and put a hurting on me. One hand he was playing 5c 8c in middle position and I never put him on a hand like that. I guess that is the power in playing non-traditional starting hands. Anyway I put a note on him and will be aware for him in the future.

I am really enjoying playing with real money on Pokerstars it gives me that extra level of excitement because I have something at risk. Even though I’m only playing at the micro limit tables I feel as though the time has come for me to move away from the “play money” and take the next step. Plus I have to admit I’m hooked and I don’t think I could ever go back to play money except to learn a new game. I will try to pull a Chris Ferguson and build up my bank roll from a small amount. If I bust out I will fund my account with $100 which should last me quite some time since I usually only find time to play 3-4 times a week and play only one MTT at a time.

No comments: